I knew a woman, lovely in her bones,
When small birds sighed, she would sigh back at them;
Oh, when she moved, she moved more ways than one:
The shapes a bright container can contain!
Of her choice virtues only gods should speak,
Or English poets who grew up on Greek
(I’d have them sing in chorus, cheek to cheek).
How well her wishes went! She stroked my chin,
She taught me Turn, and Counter-turn, and Stand;
She taught me Touch, that undulant white skin;
I nibbled meekly from her proffered hand;
She was the sickle; I, poor I, the rake,
Coming behind her for her pretty sake
(But what prodigious mowing we did make).
Love likes a gander, and adores a goose:
Her full lips pursed, the errant note to seize;
She played it quick, she played it light and loose;
My eyes, they dazzled at her flowing knees,
Her several parts could keep a pure repose,
Or one hip quiver with a mobile nose
(She moved in circles, and those circles moved).
Let seed be grass, and grass turn into hay:
I’m martyr to a motion not my own;
What’s freedom for? To know eternity.
I swear she cast a shadow white as stone.
But who would count eternity in days?
Those old bones live to learn her wanton ways:
(I measure time by how a body sways).
written by I Knew a Woman- Theodore Roethke
- monhee likes this
- twoforonedeal likes this
- finndication reblogged this from thesaurus
- nocandyforyou likes this
- virginalvalour reblogged this from thesaurus
- burstingbubbles likes this
- lookuphereicome likes this
- winecupwars reblogged this from thesaurus
- courtneycarlson likes this
- livingflame likes this
- thedailyvictorian likes this
- starksandrecreation likes this
- goldfalafels likes this
- pricelesszest likes this
- astonesthrowfromtheriverhudson likes this
- givemeanewspine likes this
- chocolatecoveredsnaps reblogged this from the-separating-sea
- inkmountains likes this
- camillavarguez likes this
- horacey reblogged this from thesaurus
- englishistheartofbullshit reblogged this from i-heart-mountains
- i-heart-mountains reblogged this from thesaurus
- danaheimann reblogged this from thesaurus
- thesaurus posted this